What is the difference between a traditional WiFi network and a Hotspot for the public access to the Internet?
A hotspot or, more generally, a network designed for managing public Internet access, has the specific purpose of allowing users to access temporarily the Internet while they are in places outside their homes or offices, generally for limited amount of time, in a easy way and using their own devices (notebooks, tablets, smartphones, etc. ) without having to change any configuration.
Moreover, public Wi-Fi networks must allow the businesses hosting them to limit the access to authorized users only, setting time/bandwidth limits and, in specific cases, allowing to charge users for Internet access.
A Wi-Fi hotspot solution like WiSpot allows any local business owner to provide the service to his/her customers, getting rid of any possible liability related to any unlawful activities that users may perform using the service. This can’t be done through a traditional Wi-Fi system.
Do I need any license or permission to open a Wi-Fi hotspot in my commercial activity?
No, you do not need any permission or license. You can provide your customers with the service without any bureaucratic complication.
The only suggested requirement is to adopt a specific system, like WiSpot, allowing to control the service (implementing some kind of authentication method) and permitting to relieve the venue owner from any responsibility related to users’ activity.
Providing Internet access to customers today is fast and easy: all you need is WiSpot!
How can I buy WiSpot?
You can buy WiSpot online, from our site, using your credit card or by making a bank transfer.
What are the authentication methods supported by WiSpot?
In order to create and distribute user accounts, WiSpot provides various options.
Each owner can simultaneously provide to his customers multiple authentication methods, choosing among the following:
1) The MANUAL registration (Medium and Unlimited plans) lets the venue owner create an account and print a voucher to hand-deliver to his customers. In order to do this, the owner can use WiSpot control panel, accessible online from any computer connected to the Internet. The option supports free o paid account creation.
2) The SELF SERVICE registration (Medium and Unlimited plans) consists in sending credentials to users via SMS or through VIDEO. The self-service authentication method provides users with a free time-based account, the duration of which can be autonomously defined by the owner. If the owner enables the user credentials delivery via SMS, users will be asked to enter their mobile phone number in order to let the system send them a SMS containing the access credentials within a few seconds. On the contrary, by choosimg on-screen credentials delivery, the user will be able to start surfing the web without incurring in further formalities. Self Service authentication method can only provide access to the Internet for free.
3) Access via SOCIAL LOGIN (Facebook and Google): it allows users to access using their social network credentials. The owner can define the access duration, with the opportunity to limit the number of each user’s accesses on a daily basis. During the login with Facebook process, the like-gating function allows to request users their “Like” on the company Facebook page. The owner can ask users to automatically post a message on their Facebook walls too, containing a link to his business website.
4) SCRATCH-CARD access(Medium and Unlimited plans): the location can buy cards to redistribute to users (for free or charging a rate), containing a secret code for users to enter on the “portal-page” while accessing to the Internet. The code is printed under a scratch-off strip. Once the card code is entered, users receive their access credentials. Once again, the location can decide whether to display credentials on-screen or to send them via SMS, as described above for the self-service mode.
This method supports providing bothpaid or free WiFi service.
5) CREDIT CARD access (Unlimited plan): for this authentication method, using the control panel the owner must define a price for the users to pay in order to access to the Internet. The owner must define the access duration too. In order to collect the receipts from account sales, owners must configure and enable a Paypal account within the system. Proceeds are automatically deposited into the manager’s PayPal account (which can be created in few clicks, completely for free) and the owner can immediately dispose of them. This authentication method only provides paid WiFi service.
For what kind of use is WiSpot suitable?
WiSpot is designed to be an affordable and easy solution for creating a Wi-Fi hotspot and providing Internet access in any kind of public venue and local business. WiSpot is perfect for bars, coffee shops, libraries, pubs, shops, small hotels, restaurants and so on.
Furthermore, WiSpot is designed to create “federated” networks composed by multiple locations (it can manage from 2 up to 1000 and more locations!) which can be controlled by a single “cloud” consolecontrol panel. Brands, chain of stores, oil company service areas, tobacco shops, or municipal network Internet Hotspot are just few examples of federated networks which WiSpot is able to create and control. WiSpot comes with endless possibilities.
Generally, the “common denominator” of WiSpot-using locations feature the presence of few indoor or outdoor areas to be covered, reaching up to two or three adjacent areas (such as the whole interior of a bar and its whole outdoors opposite area) and reaching a maximum of 50 simultaneous users. These are the conditions in which WiSpot is unbeatable for convenience, simplicity of installation and use, and – last but not least – cheapness.
I want to provide the service using scratch-cards or SMS. How much are the scratch-cards or SMS top up packages? How can I order them?
You can autonomously order SMS top up packages and Scratch-cards using your WiSpot control panel.
SMS cost 25 Euros (exclusive of VAT) per each 250 SMS top up package.
Scratch-card cost 50 Euros (exclusive of VAT) per each 250 CARD top up package.
What are the technical requirements to activate of WiSpot?
In order to activate WiSpot and create your Wi-Fi Internet Hotspot, you just need an Internet connection to use with the WiSpot gateway, which will provide the service to users and manage their access. A common ADSL line is enough or, as an alternative, any other kind of Internet connection line, preferably broadband (just as HDSL, 3G, satellite, fiber, …). WiSpot gateway will be then connected to the device (usually a router) used by the connectivity supplier to manage the incoming connection within the location.
How do I install the gateway and how can I activate the service?
WiSpot can be installed and activated in complete autonomy, without the intervention of a technician! After having sent the activation request and having received by courier WiSpot kit including the gateway, you just have to follow the instructions provided with the installation kit. Activation is fast and can be managed in a few minutes. If problems arise during the installation, you can call for free WiSpot support call-center available: they will guide you through the installation by phone in a step by step procedure.
What is WiSpot gateway coverage range?
The Wi-Fi coverage of WiSpot gateway depends on where the device is placed within the area to be covered. Typically, the device coverage range is about 30-40 meters, enough to bring an effective WiFi signal to a whole “open” space of large dimensions (for example, the main room of a local business and a possible indoors or outdoors table area).
I want to increase the Wi-Fi coverage provided by the gateway adding some access-points. Is it possible?
Sure: the WiSpot gateway has a LAN port to which you can connect additional access-points (one or more than just one, using a network switch) in order to extend the coverage provided by the device . You can use any kind of access-point. As an alternative, you can buy access-points directly from us. We can provide both indoor and outdoor devices at the best prices on the market. Contact us to get more information!
To get the most grounded and reliable service we recommend you to connect the additional access-points using a network cable. Where stretching out cables is not possible, we can provide stable and tested wireless solutions. Contact us for any further information.
I am a reseller of products and services related to IT and telecommunications and I would like to submit WiSpot to my customers. Is it possible?
I already have an ADSL or an Internet connection. Can I use it for WiSpot or do I have to activate a new data connection?
Sure: any active broadband Internet connection can be used without issues. WiSpot gateway is designed to be activated on existing connections. The location manager and his staff potentially connected to the line can continue using it even after the WiSpot gateway has been installed, without being subject to all the access limits and restrictions which will be active for other Internet hotspot users.
In addition to free Wi-Fi connection, I want to make one or more fixed locations in my local business available to users. Can I connect it/them to WiSpot?
Of course you can! Choosing the “Unlimited” plan, you can cable-connect to the gateway up to 2 fixed stations, through which you can provide users with the same services available through Wi-Fi.
I want to create an outdoors Wi-Fi area, what do I need?
The additional access-points can be installed outdoors. They are weatherproof and they are designed to ensure the transmission even in outdoor areas such as terraces, swimming-pools, beach resorts, etc …
I would like to activate WiSpot in multiple locations belonging to the same brand. Is that possible?
Sure! WiSpot can be activated in multiple locations belonging to the same property, management or brand. The “federated network” option can also be activated in multi-location installation and, by using it, you can allow users to access in any location of the company logging in with the same credentials.
Furthermore, federated networks come with favorable business conditions: contact us to get a quotation and a customized design!
Got further questions? Here are some options.
You can contact us as follows: